Week 7 of the One Room Challenge is here and we are dangerously close to the finish line. This week I tackled the dresser situation or lack there of and decided to go with this IKEA Kallax Hack. If you saw my Insta stories, you know this was a bit of a detour for me. Seems to be a common theme here, huh? Regardless, I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out! If you have missed any of the progress so far, check out week one, week two, week three, week four, and week five first. While this IKEA hack was not my original plan, I think it works even better. Do you wanna see how I did it?
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please see my policies.
Let me give you a little background on this weeks project. I originally planned to hack an IKEA dresser I had on hand, however, when I moved it into the room, it just felt too big. It was too tall next to the bunk beds and too deep. So I went in search of something with a slimmer footprint. Even though you all voted I should build something from scratch on Instagram, I just didn’t have that in me. Luckily my good Swedish friend came to the rescue yet again. Just don’t ask Barry how many times he has been to IKEA in the last month, haha!
IKEA Kallax Hack Supplies
IKEA Kallax Hack
Step 1 – Go to IKEA. Between this and Barry’s closet, we have arguably been to IKEA too many times. However, I think it has been worth it. Barry might disagree. Either way, I highly recommend checking the stock levels before you go and if your store offers it, buy online and just go pick it up. With all the supply shortages the Denver inventory has definitely been hit or miss. I chose to use the four cubby version, but you could use the others as well if you need more storage.
Step 2 – Build the IKEA Kallax. I know many people enjoy this step the least, but the Kallax was one of the easiest IKEA builds I have ever done.
This piece can be used vertically or horizontally. Based on the space I was filing, I turned it on its side and used it horizontally.
Step 3 – Add legs. I wanted a more custom furniture look and I needed this to be a specific height, so I added some hairpin legs. These are my go to legs that I used for my dining room benches and the console table in the family room. They are affordable, easy to install, and add a lot of style to an otherwise bland piece of furniture. I measured, marked, and predrilled the holes for these.
Step 4 – Pole wrap. If this looks familiar, that’s because I used it a few few weeks ago on my IKEA Rast hack as well. When I shared this last time I received tons of questions about it! Pole wrap is exactly what it sounds like. It is meant to wrap poles in basements. Think 70s/80s style. You know I love thinking outside the box so it should be no surprise that I am now addicted to this mid century fluted wood! I used the remaining pole wrap I had and positioned it horizontally again.
You will need to cut the pole wrap to fit the size of the Kallax cubby doors. I used our miter saw with a fine finish blade to make the cross cuts and a utility knife to cut between the pieces of wood. You can also use the pole wrap vertically but you will have more cuts.
Full disclosure, this is 16 inches wide and our 12 inch miter saw doesn’t make cuts that wide so I had to flip it over and make a second pass to cut all the way through when I was cutting it for the Rast Hack. Since I was working with the leftover pole wrap this time, my pieces were smaller and I did not have to make two passes.
Step 5 – Glue to door fronts. With the pole wrap cut to size, I used wood glue to attach it to the IKEA Kallax doors. I spread the glue almost to the edges with a dollar store paint brush. I chose the wood glue because of it’s strength, but I didn’t want it to set too fast so I would have time to position the pole wrap just right. If you choose to run the pole wrap horizontally, you will want to make sure all the grooves line up between each door as well.
Step 6 – Let it set. I let mine set overnight and used weights to keep it in place. Be very careful that you don’t have any glue leaks before you let it set. They are challenging to get off if they harden all the way.
Step 7 – Add hardware. Once all the glue was dry, I added these black finger pulls. Since this is not where the original holes were, I had to drill new ones. I first found the center of each door and measured to make sure each handle was the same distance to each edge. I added my handles to the top edge so they all looked the same regardless of how the door opens.
Step 8 – Assemble the Kallax cubbies. I followed the included instructions for this step and chose to have each of the two doors on the end open outward. I will admit, I used the drill to pre-drill for the hinges because it was easier.
Even though this is not what I originally imagined for this particular space, I like it even more! It is the perfect size and still offers storage.
Don’t forget, There is only ONE week left, and the final reveal is next Thursday! I am so excited and so nervous at the same time! Did I mention we still have to build a ladder for the bunk beds?! Yep! If you want to catch the remaining behind the scenes, head over to Instagram and watch my stories. There will be a lot happening this week! I have also saved the video from this project to the highlight IKEA Kallax Hack.
If you enjoyed this post, IKEA Kallax Hack, please share it on Facebook or hover over an image and save to Pinterest! And if you don’t already follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook, I would love for us to be friends! Also, make sure you don’t miss any of the progress and sign up here to get notifications delivered straight to your inbox. This final week is going to be a wild ride!
Don’t forget to stop by the One Room Challenge to check out all the featured designers and other guest participants and give them some encouragement. I am sure they are feeling just as stressed as I am right now!