Ok friends, I am not going to sugar coat this. The past few weeks have been a bit stressful. Hence why you didn’t hear from me last week. I frankly just didn’t have the time. The reality of life. However, we have made some progress, don’t get too excited, there’s no tile yet, but it’s still notable. We now have walls! I know that sounds silly, but it’s a big turning point for us. Let’s take a trip down memory lane. You can check out the original master bath and bedroom here and here.

First, we scraped the popcorn ceilings and removed all the carpet. Then was demo day and everything came out of the bathroom.And then we waited. This is the most difficult part of the process for me. I HATE standing still. But we had some more serious work to be done on the electrical, plumbing had to move, and walls/drywall had to go up. None of those are Lisa & Barry skills. First the electrician came and moved the electrical outlet that used to be in the wall we took down. He also added a new outlet on my side of the vanity area. Finally, my OWN outlet! YAY!!! He also re-positioned the lights above the vanity area, added a recessed light in the shower, and replaced the old dated fan with a recessed light/fan combo. Then the plumber came and relocated the plumbing from the floor to the wall to accommodate our floating vanity. He also moved the vent pipe we found hidden in the soffit and adjusted the plumbing in the shower for the new shower system.And finally, the drywall guy came. This is probably the most noticeable change. Because we took down a wall and two soffits, there were many areas of drywall missing in the ceiling and walls. All of which needed to be patched.To add to the drywall needs, we built a wall between the bedroom and bathroom (so we can actually have a door) and moved the doorway to my closet over a few inches to accommodate a closet system (more to come on this soon, I promise!). So those areas also needed drywall patching.Now lets talk about the shower. I didn’t share this before because I wanted to make sure it was possible first. In our original shower we had about 8 inches of extra wall space behind our shower. It was our hopes and dreams to use this 8 inches in the shower so we could build a seat. Previously, our shower was only 32 inches wide by 48 inches long, not leaving much room for a seat. This was the original configuration.This remained an unknown until we opened up the walls and could see what was back there. The good news is, we were able to steal that extra 8 inches! So now the shower is 32×56. Small victories.Another major item on my wish list for the shower was a hidden niche. If you have been reading for any length of time you are probably well aware of my OCD. Clutter is high on my list of things my OCD just can’t handle. So imagine a brand new shower with beautiful marble tile and chrome fixtures and then you see my bright purple lufa and my Suave shampoo. Nope. I just can’t handle that. I don’t want to see the shower clutter from the entrance of the bathroom. My solution to this is a hidden shower niche recessed on the back of a half wall within the shower. Trust me, its going to be great! Below you can see the framing we made and what it currently looks like with the backer board. And this is what the whole bathroom looks like now. See, I told you we are making progress! We hope to get to the actual tiling very soon! Subscribe to my newsletter to keep up with our progress! You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!

 

 

 

Leave a Reply